Cell Phone/Electronic Device Policy
Any visible or disruptive cell phone/electronic device can be confiscated by the teacher. Confiscated items will be sent to the deans’ office for parent pick-up only. Students who refuse to relinquish the item will be referred the deans’ office, where the student may be placed on suspension for insubordination. Cell phone use is reserved for before school, during lunch, and after school only.
Closed Campus Policy
Green Valley High School operates under a closed campus policy. After arriving at school, the student is not to leave school either during class, at lunch, or between periods without a passport. Students may not leave the building to go to the parking lot. Passports for appointments, illness, or any justifiable reason may be obtained with parental permission in the attendance office. Students may not leave campus at lunch or have lunch brought to them on campus. In addition, if students are ill, all phone calls to parents/guardians must be made from the Health Office.
Dress Code Policy
Student dress, personal appearance, and conduct are required to be of such character as not to disrupt or detract from the educational environment of the school. Any style that tends to diminish instructional effectiveness of discipline control by a teacher is not acceptable. The Green Valley High School dress code is in accordance with the CCSD Regulation 5131. The school administration shall have the right to designate which types of dress, fashion, fads, or appearance disrupt or detract from the educational program and may be a potential safety hazard. The specific requirements and prohibitions are:
- Requires the wearing of shoes with soles. House slippers are not permitted.
- Prohibits the wearing of midriff or see-through tops. No skin showing between bottom of shirt and top of pants, no skin showing when arms are raised, no showing of undergarments of any kind while sitting or standing.
- Prohibits the wearing of sagging pants. No showing of undergarments of any kind when sitting or standing. If pants are gathered and raised at the bottom, it must be on both legs. Pajama bottoms are not permitted.
- Requires that the attire be at least fingertip length. Manufactured hems are required on all clothing (no cutoffs).
- Prohibits the wearing of spaghetti strap tops. No tank tops or racer back tops. All sleeveless shirts must have straps at least three inches wide (3″) and cover the shoulder. Basketball jerseys cannot show skin under the arms.
- Prohibits slogans or advertising on clothing that, by their controversial or obscene nature, disrupt the educational setting. This includes any clothing that advertises alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, sex, or drugs. No clothing that is believed to represent gangs.
- Prohibits the wearing or possession of headgear on campus. No hats, no sweatbands, no hoods, no bandannas, no scarves, no “do-rags”.
- Prohibits the wearing of clothing with safety pins, spikes, studs, or controversial belt buckles.
- Coats, mittens, scarves, and gloves must be removed upon entering the classroom.
- No spiked hair beyond two inches (2″) in height.
- Prohibits facial piercings of any kind or tattoos that are obscene or controversial in nature.
Chains on clothing, food and drink items, skateboards, rollerblades, scooters, and water toys are prohibited on school grounds. School staff will confiscate theses items and they may be returned to parents only. Personal items should not be on campus, therefore the school will not be responsible if they are lost or stolen.
Lockers are not automatically assigned to students. If you are interested in being assigned a locker for the school year, please sign up in the deans’ office. Lockers are assigned on a first come first serve basis.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:20pm to 3:30pm, following the regular school day, students may be assigned School Beautification as a resolution for minor disciplinary incidents. This may consist of helping to clear campus of trash, helping set up or clean up campus events or helping the building engineer complete minor beautification projects, etc.
Students will meet in the In House room at 2:20 pm and will be dismissed at 3:30 pm.
Students serving after school detention will be given the opportunity to work off more than one hour if they participate in beautification activities.
Cell phone use is not permitted during School Beautification. Students should leave their phones locked up in the In House room with their belongings.
Students misbehaving, not following directions or exhibiting insubordination/disrespect will be removed from School Beautification, parent will be called and student will be placed on suspension and/or recommendation for expulsion outside of Green Valley High School.
Students are expected to be in their assigned classrooms when the bell rings. Tardy sweeps are conducted every period, every day. Students who are tardy will be assigned detention either before school, after school or during lunch. Failure to serve a detention will result in placement in In-House or further discipline.